A COVID-19 Reflection On Being Quarantined



I see so many people dealing with what's going on in the world recently so differently. I am a planner by nature so this definitely knocked me off my train rail. Everything I thought to know about the near future and how everything was going to play out for the rest of the year was just completely wiped off my board. 

Normally I have my planner FULL of activities for our family. Whether it's for school, work, swim, baseball, soccer, church, play dates, etc. Everything has been crossed out the last two months. For the first time in a long time I was feeling a little relieved we didn't have anything in our planner. I felt the weight off my shoulders and pressure to have to get to places. Sure I love staying busy, cheering on my kids during their extra curricular activities, I love girls nights etc. I had to take what I knew to be our normal daily schedule and just make somthing new out of it. All of these extra things we had planned got converted into actual family time. Time to make memories. Time to focus on each other and work on our relationship as a family. We looked back and realized how much we took for granted, How much time we wasted not spending it "together" and in the moment. I’ve had the pleasure in teaching our boys the last few weeks, although I won’t kid you it has not been a piece of cake all the time, even if we already had some kind of schedule going since we do homeschooling during the summer. I love to see their “Aha” moments of when they learn or figure something out. I get to see them experience the little things like planting seeds/plants, finding caterpillars, searching for grubs to feed to the chickens and asking a million questions about everything... literally a MILLION. Kids are so curious and eager to learn and know things. 

I've had quite a few zoom meeting requests the last two to three weeks and I felt the pressure crawling on my shoulders again. Having to schedule zoom meetings every day sometimes multiple for the kids, me or all of us. If I don't accept or show up to your zoom meeting please don't get offended. I do miss y'all I am just enjoying "togetherness" with our family. Text, email, or call me I'll answer back when I get the chance but please back off those expectations as I'm trying to soak every minute with my family. 

Evening walks have become my favorite part of the day since all of this started. To see the boys ride their bikes while my husband and I walk and talk to each other and look over our boys has been something we didn’t have much time to do before because of how busy and packed our schedules were. 


I know this has been hard for so many and for some having their kids home has been chaotic trying to find their new normal but take time to just breathe and take in the family time. Kids will grow too quickly and then they’re gone to school, work and married. I just think about so many people who are sick and/or have lost someone they love and think about how I just need to squeeze my loved ones a bit more. Trust me I’m usually the pessimist in every group but I just can't stop thinking about how thankful I am that my family is safe at home. As my “favorite” (eye roll insert here) parenting advise I’ve received from time to time says, “this too shall pass”. This will all be a memory in the past. Things will either change or we will find a new normal but this will be in the past so take in whatever family time you do have right now. 

Comments